Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 

I thought christians were supposed to be the good guys?

Totally freaked myself out lastnight. In the absense of anything decent on telly (C4 having moved Lost back to 11 o'clock to make room for the morons in the Big Brother house to continue making arses of themselves), I didn't switch the thing on at all, and instead amused myself by surfing the net.

Among the many websites I have been promising myself I'd visit properly is The Flying Spaghetti Monster. At first glance it seems like just a well-designed spoof of intelligent design which has lots of excellent, irreverant funny stuff to buy. But I was thrilled to find out that it actually has a much more serious point to it, having been set up to challenge the ridiculous Kansas School Board decision to give the theory of intelligent design equal emphasis in the science curriculum. Yey! Click here for a surprisingly balanced overview of the site's history in Science & Theology News.

What freaked me out was the horrible hate mail the site's founder, Bobby Henderson, has been receiving, from so-called christians. He has kindly published it all, and it makes for sinister reading. Of course it's a long time since I've been naive enough to think that all christians are nice well-spoken polite people who love their neighbours, don't covet their neighbour's wives, or oxen, or whatever. And I know that somewhere along the line Jesus's words about it being harder for a rich man to get into heaven than to get a camel through the eye of a needle got scrapped. I mean, you only have to be moderately well-versed in the ways of the world to know that there are christians out there who are quite happy to kill for what they believe in, despite what their lord had to say on the subject. Even so, I was horrified and not a little disturbed by the sheer viciousness of the comments Henderson has been receiving.

I had been thinking about buying a t-shirt or two for the kids. It seemed like a fun way of getting them and their friends involved in the debate, but a chill went down my spine when I read the words of one christian defender of intelligent design: IF I EVER MET ONE OF YOUR BELIEVERS, I WILL KILL THEM WHERE EVER I MAY FIND THEM!!!! NO WARNINGS, NO MERCY! And that's one of the milder comments. Whatever happened to the meek inheriting the earth?

D'you know what though? These bastards can't be allowed to win even the tiniest of victories. Hope FSM ship t-shirts to the UK.

Comments:
I just found your site via Atheism Online.

Keep up the good work!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?